Jeff,

The normal practice is to wind a thermal protective device in the
transformer. For larger transformers it is normally a resetable device but
for small transformers, a one time operation type is often used.

 On Fri,
4 Dec 1998, JENKINS, JEFF wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a question about transformer fusing.  I have an application that uses
> a 10W transformer connected across 400Vac mains.  It is my understanding
> that this requires a fuse rated to at least 400V, which would mean 500V
> because that's the next larger size available.  However, the smallest
> amperage fuse available at that voltage rating is 100mA.  This by far
> exceeds the transformer rating.  I thought about performing the EN 60742
> test of loading the transformer until the primary current is 2.1 x 100 mA =
> 210 mA and taking thermal measurements, but I am quite sure the transformer
> will burn up under this large a load.
>
> The standards being used to evaluate this product are:
> EN 50178
> UL 1012
> CSA C22.2 No. 107.1
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeff Jenkins
> Senior Regulatory Compliance Engineer
> Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
> Fort Collins, CO USA 80525
>
> Opinions are my own and not necessarily shared by Advanced Energy
> Industries, Inc. or its affiliates.
>
> ---------
> This message is coming from the emc-pstc discussion list.
> with the single line: "unsubscribe emc-pstc" (without the
> quotes).  For help, send mail to ed.pr...@cubic.com,
> j...@gwmail.monarch.com, ri...@sdd.hp.com, or
> roger.volgst...@compaq.com (the list administrators).

Chris Healy
Liaison Manager, Standards and Approvals

JNA Telecommunications Limited              email: ch...@jna.com.au
A Lucent Technologies Company        Ph (direct) : +61 2 9935 5728
16 Smith St, Chatswood, NSW 2067 AUSTRALIA   Fax : +61 2 9417 3862