Hello Rich, Peter, and all distinguished colleagues:

Couldn't resist...

I agree that it would certainly not be SELV, however.  I am not sure if one
would call this ELV or TNV however.  (I lean toward TNV...)

1)  You have stated the following Rich:
The IEC 950 definitions for TNV, TNV-1, TNV-2, and TNV-3
do not imply in any way a circuit that is "exposed
outdoors."  In fact, TNV is defined as "...a circuit in
the equipment..."

However, if you read the definition of TNV-1 circuits in clause 1.2.8.9, it
states that TNV-1 is a circuit on which "...overvoltages from the
Telecommunications Network are possible."  I believe that the "overvoltages"
referred to imply the possibility of an "exposed outdoor" TNV circuit.
Continue reading, as my next answer (concerning IEC 950 lightning
considerations) gives more justification for this answer.

2)  You both mention that lightning surges are not considered by IEC 950,
however, I believe that they are.  If one considers clause 6.4.1, and the
testing options for compliance for isolation from the Telecommunications
Network, the 6.4.2.1 impulse test option are the ITU K.17 lightning surge (see
Annex N) testing recommendations.  I believe that these were developed with the
transmission line characteristics of a twisted pair copper wire in mind...so I
am not sure if they would be exactly applicable to your situation
anyway...something to look into.  Maybe the IEC 65 impulses are typical of
lightning strike transmitted down Coax (I do not know IEC 65...)?

Anyway, the intent here is that the insulation not be damaged from an
overvoltage from the TELECOMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, and I believe that the
"overvoltages" in mind included lightning strikes.

It will be interesting to hear answers on 3 & 4.

Just my $0.02, I could be out to lunch on this one...

Mel Pedersen                            Midcom, Inc.
Homologations Engineer             Phone:  (605) 882-8535
mpeder...@midcom-inc.com     Fax:  (605) 882-8633