This was regard passivated zinc chromate plating on steel:

there are two common classes, one is more durable in terms of cosmetic
protection but results in very poor galvanic continuity between
mechanically mating parts and thus is not suitable where EMI
considerations are concerned. This class has a gold or yellow finish.

Spec for this type:
UK: BRIGHT ZINC PLATE TO BS 1706 Fe/Zn 8 c 2C

The other class which is much thinner and is suitable for steel
enclosures where EMI is of concern is silver or "clear" in finish
colour.
Spec for this type is:

UK: BRIGHT ZINC PLATE TO BS 1706 Fe/Zn 8 c 1A

US: BRIGHT ZINC, ASTM B633, TYPE III, Fe/Zn 8

Chris James
Engineering Services Manager
Dolby Labs Inc.
Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - SN4 8QJ