In a message dated 98-11-30 12:58:20 EST, plaw...@west.net writes:

<< > Hello Colleagues,
 > I have recently learned of a technology whereby harmonic disturbances may
be
 > reduced via APFC (Active Power Factor Correction). This is apparently a
 > device that injects cancellation harmonics back onto the line under closed
 > loop control.
 >
 > Is anyone able to point me to any resources where I can learn more? >>

Hi,

active power factor correction has several guises. The two I'm familier with
are where a pre-switcher is used, and where active circuits null harmonics at
the point where power enters to box.

For Technique 1, I suggest you go to the Linear Tech site, they have devices
specifically for this, I believe Cherry do too. I'm playing with a LT 1509CN
at the moment, it's quite good.

For Technique 2, the work I did was to reduce the weight in aircraft solid
state power convertors back in 1986. It was never made commercially available,
though I believe a company from Israel called Actil has a filter based on this
concept. They are at www.actil.com.

Best regards.

Derek Walton.
Owner L F Research EMC Design and Test Facility.
NARTE Engineer 438.