--- On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 00:39:28 GMT  Paul Rampelbergh
<rampelberg...@euronet.be> wrote:
> General question not specific to EMC:

> Where can I find an 'official' definition of
>    what's a RF measurement device (tool, circuit, equipment)

> With the special attention to:
>    Is it a radio communication device or not?

Paul:

        The following isn't OFFICIAL, just my perspective on your question.
But, it may help to better frame the terms of the inquiry.

        An "RF measurement device" could be:

1. A device which intentionally generates electromagnetic energy to evaluate
the physical condition of a material.

2. A device which intentionally generates electromagnetic energy to evaluate
the presence, motion or proximity of a material.

3. A device which measures the quality or magnitude of electromagnetic energy.

        A "radio communication device" is a device which facilitates the
transfer of information by electromagnetic means.

        There's obviously some overlap of the categories. A field strength
meter may also derive some information from an observed signal. A proximity
sensor may derive some information about the characteristics of the target's
motion and composition. A communication receiver could provide an indication of
the signal's strength.

        Maybe the best distinction is in the use of the device; is it being
used to observe a condition or is it being used to transfer information? Hmmm,
sort of like how your feelings about a shotgun depend on which end is pointed
toward you.
Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab