A "Listed" item is complete unto itself. A "Recognized" component is
intended to be incorporated into an end product. Wire is a very good example
since there are both types. Listed wire may be used to wire a building, but
Recognized wire may only be used inside equipment. The UL report will
contain a list of "Conditions of Acceptability" for a Recognized part which
must be observed when the item is incorporated. These conditions can
sometimes be a real pain. Let me give you an example - dc fans. I have seen
some where no locked rotor test had been performed and the suitability of
the plastics was not tested. So what the #$@% did UL do?  Anyway, before you
incorporate a Recognized part into your design, obtain the Conditions of
Acceptability from the manufacturer.

Richard Woods
Sensormatic Electronics
wo...@sensormatic.com
Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of
Sensormatic.