Hello All,

I've been looking at the 1998 version of EN 54-2 which is the
performance standard for Fire systems control and indicating Equipment.
In that standard they have decided to call out some immunity testing. My
first question is why! The family product EMC standard for these items
already is covered by EN50130-4 (1996). Futhermore EN54-2 is a few years
out of step by calling out tests from the 801 series. Can anyone out
there from the working group for this standard offer some insight as to
why this happened or if there are any plans to modify the standard to
either call out EN50130-4 as the test method or to repeal the EMC
provisions.

What is the groups feeling? Can I safely ignore EN54-2 for it's EMC
testing sections and just test to EN50130-4 (its more comprehensive) and
declare compliance for the EMC directive on that basis . I really don't
feel like taking the time and expense to extend my testing to old
standards.

Finally this brings up an intesting general point. Lets assume that both
of these standards reach their dow. We know one conflicts technically
with the other. Both documents have standard statements in their
forewords about dates. The first one (dop) is the latest date by which
the EN has to be implemented at a National level by publication of an
identical NATIONAL STANDARD or by endorsement. the last one (dow) is the
latest date by which  the NATIONAL STANDARD conflicting with the EN have
to be withdrawn. A country implementing an EN makes it a NATIONAL
STANDARD as per the definition of the dop. Now we have two standards
saying the other must go! Who wins the battle?

Regards,

Kevin Harris
Compliance Engineering Manager
Digital Security Controls