George,

Can't say I have had the same experience.  But, I have
had experience with two different safety NRTLs each with
their own label.  Anytime something did come up I always
referred the issue to the supervisor of the test engineer
of the approval to make the call.  My experience was that
the NRTLs were very helpful.

I did have issue with one rather famous factury inspector,
but it was obvious that he went beyond the scope of the
factory inspection report.

Regards,  Doug