Jeff -

This rumor doesn't make much sense as an across-the-board requirement,
especially considering UL has a component product category for MOVs and
other transient voltage surge suppressors, along with some product standards
that allow reductions of over-surface and through-air electrical spacings
when transients are known and/or controlled.  Presumably, your friend means
one specific product category or standard, but even then it makes little
sense for US application.

Could it be that this rumor is based on certain EU countries not wanting
MOVs in primary circuits, based on the nature of their power systems and UL
is enforcing this requirement for CB Scheme evaluations where specific
national deviations come into play?

I've seen no official mailing from UL on this topic.  Such a drastic
measure, after accepting MOVs in primary circuits for a long time, would
require a formal Industry Review (File Review), with announced schedules for
product compliance.

If your friend has more information on this, please convince them to pass it
along.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver
Homologation Engineering