Greetings,

We manufacturer a small line of vacuum pumps that use very small (1/16
hp) 12, 6 and 4 VDC motors. Just a DC motor and a pump. We have had
some EMC testing performed to the EN 55014 and EN 55104 standards
where there was some high conducted emissions that required a .1 uf
capacitor across the positive and negative terminals. But I believe
this is more of an issue of the power supply source, and lead lengths
than the motor.

These items are considered components because they need a power supply
to operate. However, they could use battery power, but I assume that
there would not be an emission problem in this mode.

We now have another source for motors, and I have been asked to
retest. I am very reluctant to spend thousands of dollars on testing,
when I personally do not understand the benefit or risk. Of course the
test house highly recommends additional testing. So I come seeking
some advice or alternatives. Here are some of my thoughts:

Since this is a component, could we just assign a declaration of
incorporation?

Are there any reasonable limits to what should be tested, as far as
power/frequency/application in the directives?

Is there a justifiable reason to test this product?

Thank you for your consideration, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ray Russell

ray_russ...@gastmfg.com