Robert -

Saline only has been proposed (is not common) as a simulation for
body tissue (muscle), for which the SAR exposure limit is 4 W/kg.
For brain and organs, the limits are more strict, at 1.6 W/kg.  The
exact content of the simulation liquid will determine its
permittivity and conductivity, which need to be different at
different frequency ranges.

Note that for certification purposes, a maximum error of 20% for the
whole system (liquid, probe, positioning, etc, etc) is now being
required by the agencies.  This is *very* tight in SAR measurement.

Please see my earlier post for more information.

Regards,
Kate
APREL Laboratories
(.sig at end of post)

> From:          m...@global.california.com
> Date:          Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:48:04 -0800 (PST)
> To:            ed.pr...@cubic.com
> Cc:            emc-p...@ieee.org
> Subject:       Re: RF Exposure

> As a first pass, try balloons with mild saline solution.  The skin effect
> at those frequencies is shallow so bags o' water are close approximations.
>
>                                       - Robert -
>
> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 ed.pr...@cubic.com wrote:
>

> > Looking for a supplier of mannequins (head, upper torso, whole body?) to
> > simulate and measure the absorption of RF energy from very close emitters
> > (cell phones, man-pack radios, telemetry).
> >
> > Anyone have any leads for anything from raw materials to complete dummies?
> >
> > --------------------------
> > Ed Price
> > ed.pr...@cubic.com
> > Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
> > Cubic Defense Systems
> > San Diego, CA.  USA
> > 619-505-2780
> > Date: 03/17/98
> > Time: 11:51:54

Kathy M. MacLean, President
APREL Laboratories
"Research-Training-Consulting-Testing
 Wireless-EMC-Acoustics-Health & Safety/SAR"

51 Spectrum Way, Nepean, Ontario, Canada  K2R 1E6
Tel (613) 820-2730; Fax (613) 820-4161; Cell (613) 791-3777
email k.macl...@aprel.com   http://www.aprel.com