Richard,

Per section 7.2.1.1 of the latest Guidelines on the Application of the
EMC Directive you would only have to comply with the EMC directive if you
were bringing the equipment up to "as-new" status. That is, if you made
the equipment competitive with new devices used for the same purpose.
Otherwise the updated old equipment could have a competitive advantage
partly because it would not need to comply. This same section does,
however, suggest that you be ready to justify your decision in case
you're ever challenged.

Dick Shultz
Complinace & Approvals Manager
Brooktrout Technology, Inc.

On 3/17/98 9:11 AM Richard Cass <richard_c...@iris.scitex.com> said:

>     Greetings,
>     We have a situation where we have ITE equipment installed at a
commercial
>     sites in the EU that were delivered before January 1, 1996.  They do not
>     carry the CE mark.  We are now working on some field retrofitable design
>     changes that can be installed in these "old" machines.  The upgrade is
done
>     by a service engineer and mostly involves exchanging circuit boards.  It
>     will be economically impossible to make this upgrade of an old
>     configuration machine meet standards that would apply to new products
>     shipped to the EU today (e.g. EN50081 class B).  My questions boil down
>     these:
>
>     1.) Given that the specific machine was already placed in service in the
EU