Mel Pedersen wrote:

> Forgot to forward this to newsgroup.   - Mel
>
> ----------

Mel,
You are on the right track... UL's RTIs are determined by many factors,
including thickness, where the material will be used, how the material
will be used, and how the material matches up to similar material used
in a similar fashion (the control). These are just the basic factors.
This is how the same material can get many different RTIs at different
thicknesses, or even the same thickness.
A manufacturer's temperature claim could be anything, possibly just the
temperature where the material starts to physically degrade (whatever
that means,ie starts to melt, flow, discolor, get brittle????).
I don't know personally of any European directories, but perhaps you may
wish to email Larry Bruno or Steve Giannoni at UL's Plastics Group in
NY. They have/had a hand in their plastics seminars and the development
of UL's RTI program. Their emails are bru...@ul.com and
gianno...@ul.com.
If you write them, say "hello" for me. I haven't talked to them for
awhile...
Regards,
Bob Tims
Compliance Engineer