Bob,

In my experience in the commercial computing arena at NCR I have found
that software can definitely "influence" radiated emissions.

My experience is in very high speed digital systems.  In systems where
the dominant EMI sources are from the I/O signals on cables, then the
bit pattern of that signal has a big influence on radiated emissions.
The bit pattern is determined by software, or firmware, or some set of
computer instructions.

For example, I have a very high speed digital system that idles with a
bit pattern that is much like a repetitive clock pulse.  It produces a
very strong emission at its characteristic frequency.  However, when the
system is truly operating and sending real data, the signal bit patterns
on the cables are much more complex, producing a much richer spectrum of
radiated emissions, but with the peaks many dB lower than the idle
pattern's peak.  In this case, the software has a real influence on the
emissions spectrum.

I think that if you had a system that had noisier boards, so that an
important EMI source were common-mode signals on the ground plane from
clock signals (a common problem), then software activity may have much
less effect on radiated emissions.

Yes, the effects are system dependent, but for some categories of
systems, software activity is an important ingredient in producing
radiated emissions.

I have another example!  We use arrays of disk drive storage (many
gigabytes) in our systems.  Typically, these arrays are driven by SCSI
cables.  We have found over the years that we should run software
programs that try to maximize disk activity (reads and writes) when
performing EMI compliance tests.  We usually get stronger emissions when
the drives are very active.  This is another example of software
influencing radiated emissions.

This is a bit of a ramble, but I hope the thoughts are helpful to you.

Jim

Dr. Jim Knighten                e-mail: jlknigh...@ieee.org
Senior Consulting Engineer
NCR