From: Chris Dupres [mailto:chris_dup...@compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 7:17 AM
To: Qu Pingyu
Cc: emc-pstc
Subject: TEMPEST

Hi Qu.

You wrote:
<Can somebody tell me what does TEMPEST stand for ?>

I don't think that the letters stand for anything, rather it is a
(British?) set of performance specs, standards, requirements essentially
aimed at maintaing confidential communications.  E.g. a Tempest monitor
will not bleed video or z modulation signals that may be picked up by a
sensitive receiver nearby.   I've seen a demosnstration at an exhibition
where the exhibitor of an 'Intrusive Monitor System' was able to dut up
screen display of all the screens around him at will, just by homing in
on
their timebases and video signals with a highly directional antenna.
TEMPEST, seeks to eliminate this leak of 'intellligence'.

It's not only monitors, but data comms, RF, printers, anthing which
could
radiate, or conduct, data to an interested and well equipped third
party.

At least I think that's what it is.  :-)

Chris Dupres
Surrey UK.