Hi Lisa,

I've got to ask this, so here's goes ...

Is the cable that has to be ferrited:

1. Part of the system that your company sells?
   Or at least sourced by your company through
   something like the Installation/Users Manual
   with either your P/N or a mfrs P/N?

2. A cable that the customer can buy from anyone?

3. A cable that the customer already has installed
   such as network cabling?

Long time ago, I ran into a similar problem with
a T1/E1 telco product.  Came down to having to use
shielded type cable for hookup.  Well, the writeup
for the customer in the Installation Guide and
Users Manual was to use shielded cable for conformity
since it was qualified that way.  Bad news since
we were in the telco arena with cables already
installed at the customer site.

I had to push it that way, since that's what I tested.
Any representation of the product's performance during
the test minus any modifications done for the test
constituted in my mind not only a gross misrepresentation
by me to the customer, but by the lab if not noted
in the report as well.  All the labs I've worked with
are reputable places, so when they wrote the report
that way, I had something in black and white to
kick back to management.  I mean here's an official
third party assessment of the product.

Anywho, management did not want that at all.  Meant the
company was at a severe disadvantage with other companies
who didn't have to use such cable.  They finally allowed
a slight slip, I mean VERY slight slip, in the product
release for what ended up being a rather simple fix.

Sounds to me like your situation is similarly driven
by management - you're given a product made with little
time for EMI considerations and you are pass it with
NO changes ...  That can be a tough seat in which to sit.

Lengthy post.  Sorry ...

Regards,  Doug McKean

At 03:36 PM 6/25/99 -0400, lisa_cef...@mksinst.com wrote:

>Here's a question....  If you have a product that, at one particular
frequency
>during radiated RF, you simply cannot get to pass the requirements of the
>relative CE standard without putting an external ferrite on the cable, is it
>"legal" , to still mark it, provided you inform your customers via the
>declaration of conformity or in the manual etc., that they could experience
>problems at such and such frequencies and if they do, to use a ferrite?
(boy,