---------- Original Text ----------

From: "POWELL, DOUG" <doug.pow...@aei.com>, on 6/30/99 9:56 AM:

Richard,

I can only speak from my experience with the LVD and EMC directives.

1) The requirement for CE marked products is that the user documentation and
the DoC be in "one" of the official languages of the EU.  So, we use English
as one of the languages.

2) That being said, the safety standards my company uses to comply with the
CE mark, require that we provide user documentation in any of the other
official languages if in fact our customer explicitly requires it by
contract.  However this may be a reduced size document containing only those
portions that are specifically related to the safe installation, operation,
maintenance and disposal of the product.  It is not required that you
translate sections like theory of operation, applications, sales literature,
etc.

3) Additionally, when we certify a product through a notified body, in this
case LGA in Nurnberg Germany, the national public safety law requires a
manual in German.  I suspect other nationalities within the EU have similar
requirements for certified products.

This policy has been confirmed by our representative from LGA America.

-doug

Douglas E. Powell, Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
Fort Collins, Colorado 80525 USA