In a message dated 7/7/99, Susan Beard writes:

<< Anyone know of any connectors with 0.1" spacings that survive a 2000 volt
rms hipot requirement? >>

Susan:

Don't forget that for most connectors, the minimum spacing actually occurs on
the printed circuit board, at the land areas around the pins.  For a
through-hole connector that has .100" pin spacings and .060" round pads, the
spacing on the board will be .040".  Several times I have seen people fail to
take this into account.

For through-hole pins, you can increase the separation by using an oval pad.
Surface mount connectors often allow greater spacing for the same pin pitch.

Another way to provide the required separation is to use a connector that has
a smaller pitch, but allocate one or more "dead" pins (not connected to
anything) between the pins you are trying to separate.  In this case, the
effective separation will be the total of all the smaller separations between
pins.  Sometimes this approach allows you to use a connector that is
otherwise more desirable than one selected specifically for its pin
separation.

In practice, a .040" spacing might pass your 2000 VRMS test, but I would
recommend a minimum of .050".  Anything above this amount would increase your
margin of safety.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.