Colleagues,

I am curious to know how you handle PWB design for safety compliance:

1.      How do you document the required spacings on the schematics?
2.      Do you use tools provided by your schematic entry system (ViewLogic,
Valid or whatever) to enter these requirements?
3.      Does your PWB layout system import these requirements from your
schematic entry system and automatically ensure they are maintained as the
board is designed?
4.      How do you view the different circuit "segments" once the board is
designed? That is, how do you visually verify that spacings are maintained
between all "segments" on a single layer and through multiple layers?

The reason that I'm asking is that this is an area of interest here. Our
boards are typically six layer, very densely populated and can have ac
mains, SELV and intrinsically safe circuit segments. We are developing ways
to try and reduce human error and effort in designing these boards. I would
be interested to know if anyone else has an interest in this subject.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Mike Rains
Foxboro Co.