Derek
In my experience in the aerospace industry, the output voltage ripple is
typically specified. However, the amount of acceptable ripple and the frequency
range of concern depends on the application. An example is the ripple level
specified by MIL-STD-1541A which calls for a ripple limit of 500 mV peak to
peak, as measured in the time domain. Of course, that specification is geared
toward the power bus of a dc system, such as a spacecraft 28 vdc bus. If the
power supply is for a single unit utilizing a common power bus for the power
supply input, then the output ripple of the supply might need to be controlled
more stringently, perhaps on the order of tens of millivolts.
DB