Hi Folks

I disagree strongly with Scott's assessment that the DoC has to be resigned
for several very important and pragmatic reasons:

a) To-date I have yet to see any official EU or other substantive document
to support his viewpoint.

b) People are always "coming and going" - it is a fact of business life,
and new personnel inherit the legal responsibilities of the old.
(That said, the "old" personnel could still be prosecuted for knowingly
breaking the law if they had falsely signed a DoC).

c) If Scott's viewpoint were widely held we would all be continuously
updating and reissuing our DoC's. In fact we would have little time for
anything else - like developing new products!

d) The date of the signature then becomes critical - and could force a
complete review of the product against the latest versions of the
appropriate referenced standard(s).

The problem comes if those standards have themselves been updated since the
date of the first signature - in which case a product might have to be
modified merely because the person signing the original DoC had left the
company!

The latter proposition is plainly ludicrous and not envisaged in the
Directives or in the harmonised standards, which allow you to continue
manufacturing an unaltered compliant product for some considerable number
of years after the last date you are allowed to certify to a particular
issue level of a standard.

e) The only realistic and supportable reasons for updating the DoC are thus
that :
(i) The product itself changes;
(ii) The standard(s) change, and you are going to continue manufacturing
beyond last date at which it is permissable to to manufacture and certify
to the particular issue level of the standard(s);
(iii) The company and/or model names/number change.

The above opinion is my own, but I can see no reason why we - or any other
company - should take any different view.

Regards

John Allen
Product & System Safety Manager
Racal Defence Electronics Ltd