Group,
      There is actually a precedent for all this. It is called an
"Inter-Library Loan" and librarians do it all the time, including corporate
librarians. It works like this:

        I need a document, say a EUROPEAN STANDARD. Your Company Library has
it. I ask my librarian to ask your librarian for it. If it is ok with your
company, your librarian sends it LIBRARY TO LIBRARY, complete  with
receipts, accountability, and a paper trail.
        My librarian then checks it out to me, and I become responsible for
it. Now I can't just keep it, because it is  due back on a certain date and
my librarian will get after me to return it. This is what librarians do, and
it works.

Lou