I'm probably mistaken, but it would seem that just having the plastic
material marked on the parts would not be enough proof because of the chance
of mis-marking.  Have I missed something here?  This just seems too easy.

I presently use a system of lot marking codes with a simple one-page
document that is shipped with each batch of parts from the vendor.  The
document has the name of the vendor's QA person in signature and the
relevant lot numbers for each shipment from the factory and the exact
plastic material name and/or number with the UL 94xxx flame rating.  All I
do then for the inspector, is pull the recent shipment tracking sheet from
our receiving/inspection department as filed under the part number and let
him/her witness the document and a few of the marked parts from the bin on
the assembly line...

There should be a caveat here:
Many times a plastic part is used as a subassembly into a finished part.
The problem with this system is that tracing back a part number for a
finished part may not lead one into the subassembly part(s) so a disconnect
will occur making it difficult and time consuming to trace some parts to the
source unless you maintain a listing of parent part numbers and drawings for
inclusion to finished assemblies.  This also means you must keep the list
current as engineering/manufacturing changes.
-blech!

I have wanted to switch to a system similar to what Pryor uses, but with
dozens of individual parts, this will easily become an arduous task for me
and I'm not sure if it is acceptable anyway.  If I'm gonna go to all that
effort I'm also going to combine the markings to include a plastic material
name/number, flame rating and the chasing arrows (recycling) mark.  This
would satisfy the UL inspector, the 'greenies' and life's end recyclers.  I
know for a fact that IBM uses a system such as this now along with the
'recognized component' mark, but it seems to me that this mark would lend
the credibility to make such a system acceptable...am I expecting too much?

Btw, Hello Pryor !!

Kyle Ehler  kyle.eh...@lsil.com <mailto:kyle.eh...@lsil.com>
Assistant Design Engineer
LSI Logic Corporation (formerly NCR, AT&T GIS and Hyundai)
3718 N. Rock Road
U.S.A.  Wichita, Kansas  67226
Ph. 316 636 8657
Fax 316 636 8889