Don,

In this instance we are operating in the range from 200-800 kHz; the output
is used in a plasma process and so after ignition it will be from 800V to
possibly 1500V depending on the chemistries.  The concrete idea was going to
be used for mounting purposes and also as a coil form.  The engineer found
that the permeability and dielectric constant was okay for his application
(there's a couple of parameters no one brought up in this thread so far).
For his purposes this engineer views the concrete as nearly non-permeable
and almost equivalent to an air-core inductor.  The windings need to carry
several hundred amps of peak current at the resonant switching frequency.
The concrete inductor core is similar to a torus with a major diameter of
about 12-14" and a minor diameter of about 4".  The winding are wrapped with
4" flat braid in sleeving.  It just seems that there should be another
substance that is more suited to the application without getting into a lot
of expense.

Don't know if this changes the discussion but it will be interesting to see
what else comes out of this thread.

-doug

=======================================
Douglas E. Powell, Compliance Engineer