Apparently these power supplies are hard to find.

I may be slightly off the track here but we designed some a couple of years
ago (up to 1000 Watts) using Microlinear Power Factor Regulator Chip ML
4812. It featured a boost buck configuration. We got efficiencies of up to
88 % using powdered iron (not ferrite chokes) material (we had 5% loss in
boost and 5% lost in buck).

The boost segment corrects the power factor in that it forces the ac line
current to track the supply voltage. The buck section is your normal
regulator.

Our power factor was almost 1 and THD was down to less than 2%. But, they
were mainly intended for bulk fluorescent lighting application where the
PFC/THD requirements are very stringent. In the lighting industry you
couldn't sell something with a THD of say 90% and a Power Factor of 0.3 (I
mean the plain Rectifier/ Electrolytic Capacitor/ Switching regulator
types).

And we did not have to do any fancy design, just followed the Application
Note at the back of the Catalogue. Thermals were a bit of a problem though.
Microlinear have (and this goes back to 1992) some prototyping kits too.

Regards

Arun Kaore
EMC Engineer

ADI Limited