Hello,
I've just come across an ITE product that fails power line harmonics (EN
61000-3-2).
Naturally, the engineer in charge is nervous about it and wants to know if
there is any way around the requirement to pass.
If memory serves, the standard does not actually go into effect until
1/1/2001 is this correct?  What exposure remains?

Given that, some of our more picky customers may demand it soon.  At which
time we will pursue a power supply with PFC.  We already have identified a
candidate, but it has UL certification and no other.  We have learned that
an off the shelf item without full global compliance is a direct invite for
investigation and redesign to gain compliance -at our expense. Globally
accepted supplies are a must in our business.

I was reading in Compliance Engineering (March/April '98 pp. 33) that some
discussion has been made concerning the operating class of EUT's to date.
There are four classes (A through D) which categorize products as to power
phases used, consumption character, and intended use.  The limitations of
Class D excludes EUT's with power ratings higher than 600 watts which would
leave an undefined region for testing of such products exceeding this
figure.  The article mentions a "Class E" as professional equipment, but no
limits were expressed but maybe I am confused.

This product consumes in single phase 1.3KW or more depending on
configuration.  It is made up of a mix of smaller modules that independently
meet all applicable standards including harmonics.  The majority of the
modules employ PFC and therefore are tolerant of stacking into a cabinet
such as this and still comply.  Then we add a couple non-PFC modules, that
by themselves are compliant, and now the harmonics fail in two or three of
the odds.  Swapping of power supplies (cherry picking) shows a range of
failures from 1 to 200 ma over the limit (in class D req'mts) depending on
harmonic.

The next question I would pose:  Is this a non-issue because the EUT is
unclassified ("professional equipment") and therefore exempt?

Thank-You,

Kyle Ehler  kyle.eh...@lsil.com <mailto:kyle.eh...@lsil.com>
Assistant Design Engineer
LSI Logic Storage Systems Division