Hi Michael,

(Disclosure: My company publishes Conformity Newsmagazine, a possible competitor
with ITEM.)

Something similar happened to one of my employees when they subscribed to ITEM.
We didn't know what to do with all the stuff we got.  I looked into it and found
that there was a "trick" involved.  On the ITEM subscription card it says "FREE
SUBSCRIPTION QUALIFICATION - Answer ALL questions in this section", below this
is a list of stuff like "Antennas" with check boxes.  Just above the check boxes
it says "FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION...".  So, you check boxes about your
interest to get a free subscription AND you also get tons of info from all the
people that make the stuff for the boxes you checked.  It could have been a
confusing mistake in the way the form was put together, but I doubt it.

In ITEMs defense, advertisers place way too much credence on how many leads they
get back today.  Most people who respond to an ad are wired in and either call
the company direct or hit their web site rather than using the old, slow lead
generation system.  Companies that advertise need to qualify incoming leads by
asking them where they came from when they come in by web or phone or fax or
email.  That's the only way they are going to figure out what advertising is
working today.  Most magazines are having to educate their advertisers to expect
lower traditional lead generation and it must have been very tempting to juice
the lead generation up.

--
Jon D. Curtis, PE

Curtis-Straus LLC             j...@curtis-straus.com
Laboratory for EMC, Safety, NEBS, SEMI-S2 and Telecom
527 Great Road                voice (978) 486-8880
Littleton, MA 01460           fax   (978) 486-8828
http://www.curtis-straus.com