Richard,
        The Headquarters of the European Commission is here in Washington
DC, it is easy to get to during the day, with plenty of parking on the
street. The people there are pretty helpful &  will give you free copies of
the right documents like 89-336 EEC ( documents that some services charge
$100 for).
        Other than that, we have an arrangement with a European EMC lab
which is certified as a "competent body."
        We picked one which is not over here in the US trying to hustle
american businesses.  Whenever we have a question about the vague, arcane
and constantly-changing european emc standards, we get their official
opinion (in writing.)
        On April 27, there will be a meeting here in washington dc to
discuss ways of certifying US labs like ours (and yours) as european
"competent bodies."
This sounds like a great idea until you realize that it is the first step
towards imposing their rules on all equipment sold in the United States.
This will be great - in the short run - for us testing labs, but in the long
run it will destroy small businesses and hurt our economy. In the long run,
if this goes through we will end up like europe: with 20% unemployment.

Lou