There was an interesting article a couple of years back using two HP close
field probes in exactly the manner you descibe.  They had constructed a nice
sturdy jig to consistently position the probes with respect to each other
and got very reliable numbers.  Good method.

Brent DeWitt
Datex-Ohmeda Medical
Louisville, CO