--- Begin Message ---
ari.honk...@nokia.com wrote:

> The second scenario is correct.
> You might consider employing a competent body and use 10.2 route to
> compliance.
> If a TCF is used instead a harmonised standard, there will be nothing that
> could be
> superseded.
> regards,
> Ari

Ari and Erik, and all at emc-pstc

The EMC Directive applies to individual pieces of apparatus, not to the
type, so Ari is correct that each piece of apparatus, sold after the date
of cessation of presumption of conformity of a superseded standard, must
meet the requirements of the new standard.  That is why there is
(generally) a three year period between the listing of a new harmonised
standard in the Official Journal, and the withdrawal of the old for the
purposes of the standards route to compliance.

Ari is also correct that a certified TCF is not superseded when standards
are changed, BUT a TCF cannot be used to avoid the requirements of an
appropriate harmonised standard without good reason.  An example of a
good reason might be that apparatus which is always used in a damp
environment might not need to be assessed for ESD.  The Competent Body
assessing the file would decide whether the justification was valid.

Best wishes

Brian Jones
EMC Consultant and Competent Body signatory