Hello Moshe,
UL1581 is the UL standard that covers test methods for many of the most common
wire and cable
tests performed on a variety of Listed and Recognized wire and cable types.
The standard includes test methods for many tests, including: Physical
Properties tests on
various insulation and jacket materials, flame tests, including the UL1581
Vertical Cable Tray
Flame Test, Flexibility and Cold Bend tests, etc.
The standard also includes requirements for the test methods applicable to
various construction
and material types.
The UL1581 standard is generally referenced in all other UL wire and cable
standards, rather
than repeating the same test information in each and every test standard. For
example, if you
are testing Flexible Cord, you would need UL62, the flexible cord and fixture
wire standard, as
well as UL1581, because UL62 will reference UL1581 for many test methods and
requirements.
I hope I explained the standard clearly....
Regards,
Bob Tims
Compliance Engineer
Ericsson Messaging Systems Inc.