Richard:  Thanks for the info.  I suspect you're right - we're seeing an
increased level of clarity on this point with more recent Directives.

You quote the R&TTE Directive below, and it is very clear that
publication in the OJ is required for presumption of conformity.

The 10 yr. old EMCD also seems fairly clear, providing a presumption of
conformity for equipment that meets "national standards transposing the
harmonized standards, the reference numbers of which have been published
in the Official Journal..."

The 26 yr. old LVD says the OJ is only used "for purposes of
information" and that "Standards shall be regarded as harmonized once
they are drawn up by common agreement between the bodies notified
by...and published under national procedures".

So in my mind, the problem now boils down to just the LVD, and the
question becomes:

        Is publication in the OJ a mandatory pre-requisite of a standard
being considered Harmonized and therefore providing a presumption of
conformity with the LVD?

Hopefully the upcoming update to
http://www.newapproach.org/NewApproach/402.htm , will clarify the
situation, although I wonder if a web site can over-rule a Directive
(even in the guise of "clarification").

Regards,

Jim Eichner
Statpower Technologies Corporation
jeich...@statpower.com
http://www.statpower.com
Any opinions expressed are those of my invisible friend, who really
exists.  Honest.