Hi Moshe:

>   Can someone enlighten me on the status of safety of using LED's as
> indicators. Are they still
>   to be suspected as radiation sources (60825) and what should I do in the
> design (?) to prove
>   them safe?

EN 60950 Amd 11 invokes EN 60825.

EN 60825 applies to ALL lasers and LEDs.

EN 60825 establishes emission classes and safeguards for each
class.

The indicator LEDs I have in my products are Class I.  As such,
no safeguards are required, including labelling.  However, it is
necessary to DECLARE Class I emissions.

As a general rule, indicator LEDs are taken as Class I without
test.  This is similar to accepting a 1.5-volt battery as low
voltage without test.

However, I don't have any test data to prove the indicator LED
is Class I if I were to be challenged.

I do ask the LED manufacturer for his declaration that his LED
is Class I under maximum current (since emissions are measured
with the single worst-case fault introduced into the equipment).

Most LED manufacturers are not aware that EN 60825-1 applies also
to non-lasing LEDs.  They have no experience in testing to EN
60825-1, and often make major mistakes in their testing and
calculations.

Most LED manufacturers are happy to test at rated current, but
are reluctant to test at anything above rated current as such
operation is outside of specs.  They don't understand that
safety must be maintained even with the worst-case single fault.

Fortunately, most indicator LEDs self-destruct before they exceed
Class I emission.

Best regards,
Rich

 Richard Nute                      Product Safety Engineer
 Hewlett-Packard Company           Product Regulations Group
 AiO Division                      Tel   :   +1 619 655 3329
 16399 West Bernardo Drive         FAX   :   +1 619 655 4979
 San Diego, California 92127       e-mail:  ri...@sdd.hp.com