Ned, John, and EMC-Pstc
Thanks for your responses.  You almost convinced me (at least you started
to) but the standard is either so badly written that it still could be
interpreted multiple ways or it is using different terminology than the
standards you are using.  Let me elaborate a little more.

The table I am most concerned with (Table 23) will serve as an example of
the others and if I can come to a good understanding of it, I'll understand
the remainder of the document.  This may be old news to all of you but let
me quote paragraph 1.4.26 which defines the four levels of insulation:

1) basic insulation:  Insulation applied to live parts to provide basic
protection against electric shock.
2) supplementary insulation:  Independent insulation applied in addition to
basic insulation in order to ensure protection against electric shock in the
event of a failure of the basic insulation.
3)  double insulation: Insulation comprising both basic insulation and
supplementary insulation.
4)  reinforced insulation:  Single insulation system applied to live parts
which provides a degree of protection against electric shock equivalent to
double insulation under the conditions specified in this standard.

Table 23 is as follows:

Table 23 - Minimum creepage distances for printed wiring boards (Basic and
supplementary)

CIRCUIT Protective      Uncoated        Uncoated
VOLTAGE Coating         Pollution       Pollution
                                Degree 1        Degree 2
----------
0-50            0.025           0.025           0.04
50-100          0.1             0.1             0.16
100-160         0.25            0.25            0.4
160-320         0/75            0.75            1.6

As you can see, there is only one value for "Basic and supplementary
insulation".  This clause is exactly as it appears in the definition of
double insulation.  The table does not provide one number for Basic
insulation and another number for supplementary insulation.  Thus I conclude
these numbers are for the combined Basic and supplementary insulation, which
is, by definition, double insulation.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  How
do these creepage numbers stack up against the standards you use for the
same voltages?  Shouldn't they be the same?

Also note, there is a column for protective coating and another for
pollution degree 1.  If they meant for these two to mean the same thing, I
would think they would have only one column for pollution degree
1/protective coating.  Furthermore, referencing the definitions for the
pollution degrees, pollution degree 1 says nothing about coating but does
talk about dry, non-conductive pollution - again, it says nothing about
coatings and nothing about hermetically sealed containers.  How does your
standards read regarding the degrees of pollution?

As you can see, I'm still confused.  Are the pollution degrees and types of
insulation intended to be universal within all European Norms?  If so, where
does it say so and where does it give the definitive reading of each?

Again, I appreciate your feedback.  I've seen many instances where members
of this group have commented on the extreme value they have received from
information gained within.  I too, have to tell all of you. I would be in
total darkness without your insight.

Thanks,
Dan Kinney
Horner APG