In a message dated 12/12/00, Peter Merguerian writes:

> Assume you have equipment with external power earthed (Class 1) power
> supply with an earthed appliance inlet for conenction to the mains. The
> power supply output is connected to a dc unit with a TNV-2 interface with
> no separation to SELV. The dc unit has a earth stud for connection of an
> external earthing conductor. All exemptions for basic insulation in Table
> 19 is applied.
>
> My questions is: can the stud on the dc unit serve as my permanent

Hi Peter:

Based on your description, my tentative answer would be yes.  I'm not sure
what the "DC unit" that you refer to is, but the crux of your question seems
to be whether it is OK to have a separate grounding lug on the chassis of the
equipment that mixes TNV-2 and SELV/ground, as opposed to requiring a hard
wired ground associated with the AC power input.  The use of the separate
grounding lug is quite common on pluggable Type A equipment that needs to
qualify for the exemptions under Table 19.  I believe that the requirements
for the grounding lug are contained in clause 2.5.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848