From:   Courtland Thomas [mailto:ctho...@patton.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, December 20, 2000 4:06 PM
To:     emcpost
Subject:        Responsibilities

Hello group,

I have a question concerning responsibility when signing off on compliance
issues.

Who is ultimately responsible for the product, the compliance engineer or
the company. Let's say that a device has been 'Self Declared' to be 'CE'
compliant. The D of C is signed by the compliance engineer as well as the
President of the company. For some reason, whatever it may be, the unit is
found to be non-compliant. Who gets locked up? I may be exaggerating
somewhat, but you get the idea.

Courtland Thomas