Hi Sandy -- KeyTek built many of the crossed vane testers used by IBM and
their suppliers. Older units (pre 1980's) were built by another company --
don't remember who.

The crossed vane tester produces a ringing waveform which more closely
resembles the kind of waves you would see from a furniture ESD event - one
large charged metal object bumping into a product (computer mainframe). The
current peaks are much higher than from human ESD.

The vanes themselves are radiators -- they radiate like an antenna when the
field collapses, and this is, in fact, part of the ESD test. It's been a
while, but as I remember, there were two modes of operation:

1) discharge probe is placed in direct contact to metal on the unit under
test. ESD current injection and radiation from the vanes takes place.

2) discharge probe is placed in direct contact with the ground below the
vanes.  This is a radiated test only (each time a discharge is made to
ground, the vanes radiate.

The other thing I remember from being around these units is that they
radiate quite a strong field -- we took down an HP mainframe computer
located in an adjacent room during the days when we were developing this
unit. Injected currents are quite high -- I could dig out some old
literature if you're interested.

Hope this is helpful.

Michael Hopkins
KeyTek