From: owner-emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:owner-emc-p...@ieee.org]On Behalf Of
wmf...@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 5:03 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: OEM Issues (EU context)

Similar to the 'SAFETY LISTING' thread this week:

As a manufacturer of electrical equipment, we purchase another manuf's power

supply, CE-marked by them with a copy of their Declaration of Conformance.
We
then re-label it with our own label, make only minor physical changes,
document the product and sell it in the EU. In the event that the unit's
conformance to the Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (89/336/EEC) or
the Low Voltage Directive (73/23/EEC) is challenged, who is liable to
represent the product? My guess is that we are ast least as responsible as
the 'manufacturer', above, but mine is not a legal opinion.

Anyone out there (especially on the continent)in a position to offer advice
on how I should proceed?

Many thanks.

WmFlanigan