Hello all,

I had an EMC standard applicability question posed to me, and I am not quite
sure how to answer.
What makes this difficult is that I have been asked not to reveal specifics.

Here is the scenario:

A company is going to develop a product which can be used in a number of
markets - from commercial (in a clearly
non-residential environment) ITE market - industrial with other markets in
between.
There are no 'product family specific' EMC requirements in place at this
time for this type of product.
However, the 'product family' that the new product can be categorized is
listed under the
'ITE' heading in product safety standards UL1950 3rd Ed, EN 60950, and IEC
950.

One of the target markets (not ITE) of the product will generate at least
60-70% of the product sales. That particular market,
does haveit's own  'product family' EMC standard for the various electronic
devices that are 'essential' for operation of the systems
listed in that 'product family' standard.

While this new product is 'not essential' for the operation of the type of
systems that fall under the product family standard
(in fact, those systems have worked for years without this product), the
product can
be used to 'facilitate' extended operation of such systems.
(NOTE: The EXACT same product can be used in a variety of other markets not
even remotely affiliated with the
market).

Does the new product have to meet the 'product family' standards of the
market in which it will primarily be used?
(even if it is considered 'non-essential for proper operation')
Or can the generic (read as ITE) standards be used?

Your kind thoughts/opinions please . . . (I hope I have enough disk space
for this one . . . LOL!! )

John Juhasz
Fiber Options
Bohemia, NY