Muriel,

I once had access to a file that described the history behind adoption of
the standard bandwidths and time constants. It was fascinating. However, I
neglected to make a copy, and have not seen it for years.

Peak detectors are pretty well self explanatory. Whatever the peak signal
is, it is retained for a time much longer than the repetition rate of any
amplitude variation present.  Average detectors respond to merely the
average level of an incoming signal over time.

the one most folks get tripped up on is Quasi-peak. These detectors specify
time constants for charge and discharge of the detector filtering. The time
constants are selected by reference to what kinds of signals cause the most
noticeable interference.  In determining this, as I recall, tests were made
by having people listen to radio and watch television as the level, PRF and
duty cycle of interfering signals were adjusted. Having a good idea which
caused the most noticeable effects, the CISPR 16 committee devised
combinations of filter bandwidths and detector response to preferentially
accentuate interference of a bothersome kind, while de-emphasizing less
bothersome interference.

Perhaps we have people reading this list who took part in the formulation
of CISPR 16. It is an interesting picture of the relationship between the
"real world" of human beings, and the minutiae of our profession.

Cortland