Bonjour de Montréal,

I can share with you the latest experience I have with BSMI.

First, KTL is the only one in North America to be accredited for Korean regulations, not Taiwan. In fact, they are not accredited for BSMI as any other Canadian Laboratory until Canada sign a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) with Taiwan.

2) The USA listed laboratories in the BSMI site could only test American products. So Canadian or Israeli manufacturer could not use this avenue to get the BSMI approval. This have been confirm by the BSMI Official and the FCC. The wording of their letter of agreement clearly states that.

3) For other countries laboratories listed on the BSMI Web site (from Germany, UK the Netherlands and Singapore), I don't know if they have the same constraints, but according to the conversations we had with BSMI officials, they possibly will lose their accreditation since the BSMI wants to follow the MRA route for any laboratory outside Taiwan. Since they are still listed in the BSMI Web site, I presumed that this is still to come and that they are still active to deliver test reports but may be for their own market. Bad news for the European countries, Taiwan does not recognize the European union so every country has to get in line to negotiated a separate MRA.

4) The only route right now for any other countries is to test in Taiwan.

5) Even if you test anywhere, you still have to produce a test report that is going to be examined by BSMI. The experience we got is that their are very specific in the amount of detail that they want in the report. If you were familiar with the old FCC certification process, you have top follow that but with a lot more details. For instance they like to see an actual copy of the intended label or at least the exact dimensions.

I hope that this information will be useful for you.

Best regards,

Benoît Nadeau