  From: Chris Wells
  To: 'emc-pstc'
  Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 7:20 PM
  Subject: UL rec. needed on custom transformer ???

  Question - What is the simplest, least expensive,  way to define an isolation
transformer used in a UL508 (or similar standard) recognized product?  The
transformer is a custom design made by a magnetics vendor for use in our
industrial products.
  The product is manufactured under a UL coordinated insulation system or
recipe.
  Do I need the manufacture to obtain a UL construction file?
  I am concerned about managing our UL inspections since I can not prove the
construction at our sight.
  What is the best way to handle the inspection issues?
  I run into this issue with some of our switch mode power supply isolation
transformers. Typically these have a construction file.  But I have been told
that I don't always need to do this.
  I am confused!

  Details  -
  My latest application is a Current Transformer used in power distributions
systems.
  A power main transformer steps down the supply current to 0-5 Amp and then
the CT in my product steps this down again to mA range for measurement
purposes.  These CTs in my product become referenced safety barriers in the UL
product file but do not normally have high voltages on the primary.  My
magnetics vendor says I do not need the construction file but I do not see how
I can get a split inspection with UL inspecting the CT at the vendor, with out
this.
  Is there another way?

  Guidance on this topic would be most appreciated.
  Thank you

  Chris Wells
  Senior Des Eng.
  cdwe...@stargate.net