From: eric.lif...@ni.com [mailto:eric.lif...@ni.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2000 1:41 PM
To: Tudor, Allen
Subject: Re: Which Antenna?

Allen,

Use the biconolog.  When I hear people knock it I reply with - how much
wear on the N connectors can the antenna and cable take before it's a
bigger factor?  Also, each time a bicon and log antenna is changed on the
mast or tripod, you take a risk of an accident that renders the antenna
clearly out of calibration; you could be shut down for weeks unless you can
afford a spare set of antennas.

Also, people tend to rush things and will leave the unused antenna sitting
on the pad during a test, almost directly under the antenna in use!  I've
seen this at an accredited test lab.  That alone introduces error.

Our chamber is just a semi-anechoic 3 meter box and uses the same biconolog
as our OATS does.  When I justified the purchase, I added a 3rd biconolog
to the order as a spare.  The spare also acts as a 3rd identical antenna so
we could self-cal the antennas, and it lets us run NSA checks on the OATS
without shutting down the chamber.  We're thinking of adapting our 3 meter
chamber for the new fully anechoic (FAR) test method, but is the new test
standard published yet?  Is that why you are buidling a FAR?

Best Regards,
Eric Lifsey
Compliance Manager
National Instruments