Kurt & friends

The rationale for using a 13A fuse in cords with lower amperage ratings is
simple: The fuse in the UK plug is essentially in place to take account of
the use of the UK 30A/32A ring main distribution system which is uses 2.5 sq
mm (or larger) conductors in the building wiring system. At the socket there
is a reduction to 1.5mm or smaller conductors which thus require gross
over-current protection at that point.

The fuse is an HBC/HRC type which is there to protect the cord in the event
of a catastrophic failure of the cord, such as being cut and shorting the
conductors together, or to ground - not not the appliance or the cord under
normal operation!

Furthermore, I think that many people forget that the North American and
other European countries do the same - or even worse! You guys generally
protect all your sockets with a 15A (America) or 16A (Europe) HBC/HRC
fuse/circuit breaker in the building  distribution system - and don't
generally have ANY local socket fuse protection at all to protect small
cross section (18AWG/0.75 sq mm, or smaller!) cords

Therefore if you are worried about our system then you had better go and
talk to you local code writers (the NFPA et al) and get all your codes and
installations changed.

Seriously though, the only time we get over-heated cords of correctly rated
cords in reality is where the general ventilation around is poor.

The other major issue is overheating in the plugs themselves - generally
caused by either loose terminal screws and/or fuse clip contacts that are
loose/corroded/covered with verdigris. All of these result in high contact
resistance and local overheating - sometimes to the extent that the plugs
actually get damaged. This is typically a problem of low-cost items
(although it is not always the low-cost plugs that are actually the worst!)
and long-inservice periods of use with no precautionary maintenance.

Regards

John Allen
Thomson Racal Defence Electronics Ltd
Bracknell