At one time or another, we certainly all do.  Each NRTL has its own level of
absurdity, whether by being too harsh or too lax.

There is one NRTL the international safety community of a previous employer
had agreed was lax to the point of not accepting any component or OEM device
that certified exclusively by that NRTL (don't ask me for a name; I'm not
interested in a law suit).  Another NRTL questioned the validity of
_test_data_ generated by another of its offices, not a simple construction
feature in a component (this was eventually resolved).

While I'd prefer a happy medium, if I had to choose between the two
extremes, from an ethical perspective I'd rather have too harsh than too
lax.  At least with having to work a little harder to make an engineering
case, I don't have to be concerned that I failed to show due diligence or
have a compromised conscience.  With a sound engineering position and
escalating to the appropriate levels within an NRTL, you can win the day.

Keep in mind that each of these NRTLs has a real concern about their
competition, both on the business side and the engineering side.  While I
appreciate Wyle's acceptance of other NRTL test reports for components, I
hope that this is not a blanket acceptance, based on my own experience with
lax NRTLs.

Peter L. Tarver, PE
ptar...@nortelnetworks.com