From: "Barry Ma" <barry...@altavista.com>
To: <emc-p...@ieee.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 5:31 PM
Subject: Class D in EN61000-3-2

> I read an article about EN61000-3-2 in p2 of
> http://www.techintl.com/pdfs/newsletters/sd_news2000.pdf
> titled "Deficiencies of EMC Harmonics Standards Are Addressed".
>
> It reads: "Several national standards organizations have asked the EC and
CENELEC for an extension to the date of withdrawal of conflicting standards
(1 January 2001). For this reason, Working Group 1 of IEC SC 77A prepared an
interim draft to address some of the standard's deficiencies.   The draft
modification proposes to withdraw the special wave-shape test for Class D
yet still retains the Class D category and test limits. Equipment will be
specified in the standard as being in the Class D category, and therefore
have to be tested for compliance. PCs, PC monitors and television receivers
with a power consumption of between 75 W and 600 W fall into this category.
The vote closing date is 15 September 2000. If adopted, the Common
Modification could be ratified before 1 January 2001. Manufacturers would
have the option of using only the standard or using the standard with the
Common Modification. There is no proposal to delay the date of withdrawal of
EN 61000-3-2."

> Please help me clarify the followings:
> (1) What is the vote result of 9/15/00? Has the Common Modification been
adopted?
> (2) If adopted, does it mean Class D only pertain to PC, PC monitors and
TV? Does it mean there is no Class D category for other equipment?