Marvin,

There is work on-going in CISPR SC G to create limits at 3 meters for Class
B devices of a certain size or less.  Given the speed with which changes
occur, and then are adopted, I wouldn't count on this happening any time
soon.  The 10 meter limits will not go away for larger systems, or for Class
A devices.

CISPR 22 does allow testing at shorter distances when measurements cannot be
made at 10 meters due to ambient signals or other reasons.  Some companies
have taken this to be a blanket approval to test at 3 meters.  Some
countries, notably Taiwan, insist on 10 meter measurements if at all
possible.

While you can make measurements at distances less than 10 meters, you are
taking a risk as the 1/R distance factor doesn't really work and the field
generally falls off more slowly.  As a result, a product may appear to pass
at 3 meters and fail at 10 meters.  The rate of falloff is not constant, but
varies with frequency and the size of the EUT. Caveat tester!

Hope this helps.

Ghery S. Pettit, NCE
Intel Corporation
Member, USNC IEC / CISPR SC G TAG