Don't forget that an EMC standard cannot be used to self-declare compliance
until and unless it is published in the OJ.

Richard Woods

        ----------
        From:  O'Shaughnessy, Paul [SMTP:paul_oshaughne...@affymetrix.com]
        Sent:  Monday, October 09, 2000 10:28 AM
        To:  'Nick Rouse'; Friedemann Adt
        Cc:  EMC
        Subject:  RE: EN 61000-3-2/A14

        Right - the dop is the first date upon which you MAY employ a new
standard
        for compliance.  The dow is the day by which any conflicting (ie the
old
        standard) must be withdrawn and is therefore ineffective.  This
makes the
        period between dop and dow a transition period.  Typically, the new
standard
        is tougher than the original, so the transition period is used by
everyone
        to ECO their products, retire the dinosaurs, etc.  In this case
(assuming
        all the dates are correct and it goes according to the plan), the
situation
        is a bit upside down - A14 makes compliance to EN61000-3-2 easier.
The dow
        for EN61000-3-2 will coincide with the dop of A14, which means on
January
        1st, you'll need to comply with EN61000-3-2, BUT you'll have the
option to
        use A14 in doing so.  For many manufacturers, A14 is the simpler and
easier
        path, so I expect that many will take it once it is available.

        Paul O'Shaughnessy