From: geor...@lexmark.com [mailto:geor...@lexmark.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 1:49 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Cc: kathy....@eng.sun.com
Subject: When is an LED a Laser?

Kathy,

I am no expert on IEC 60825, but may help a little.  The standard
is intended to prevent human exposure to light energy within specified
wavelengths.  It initially focused only on laser safety, because lasers
represent a beam of focused energy, i.e. more uW per area.

An LED is not a laser, but merely a light source.  When this light is
collimated and concentrated into a single beam, then it is a "laser".

LEDs were added to the scope of IEC 60825 to ensure that the output of
any LEDs (laser or not) would be within acceptable exposure limits.
In general, common LEDs used for operator panel indicators distribute
their light energy over a roughly hemi-spherical surface, although not
equally.  In most cases, there is insufficient energy in any vector
to cause an exposure problem.

George

---------------------- Forwarded by George Alspaugh/Lex/Lexmark on
10/05/2000