Thanks to all who responded to my UL1950 desparate cry for help regarding
interpretation of the clauses under 4.4.

To summarize :

(Rich) : Sub-clauses 4.4.3.2 through 4.4.3.6 are specific
requirements for parts inside a fire enclosure,
invoked by the compliance statement of 4.4.3.1.
(Sub-clauses 4.4.3.2 through 4.4.3.6 do not have
individual compliance statements; therefore, the
sub-clauses define requirements for compliance to
4.4.3.1!) - Everybody agreed with this interpretation (except for the test
house ! ).

(Kaz) Is it possible that the exemptions under 1950, 3rd, cl. 4.4.3.2
.....7th hyphenated item dealing with abnormal testing per 5.4.6 to prove in
no issues could be applied? - Sorry Kaz, 5.4.6 applies to electrical
components, not foam. Good try though.
(George) "box within a box" - good logic. It is actually a "box connected to
a box" - the LPS sources are extenal to this enclosure.
Several folks mentioned the "small parts" criteria - unfortunately it wasn't
THAT small.....
And finally, thanks to Rich again for putting it so succinctly......
"Remember, you ALWAYS have the alternative of testing!"

Incidentally, the agency allowed it under engineering judgement, pending
verification of LPS power sources.....

(Insert iron-clad disclaimer here that excuses my employer from any
liability now and forever due to my personal opinions)

Doug Massey
Safety Approvals Engineer
LXE, Inc.
Norcross, GA., USA